Question
Posted by: Liezle | 2009/11/03

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

I am 26 weeks pregnant and have carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, but worse in my right dominant hand. I have splint that I wear at night as I have to type during the day. I have now started experiencing pain in the left side of the wrist and it feels like it seizes up and I have to do stretches to get it mobile again. What supplements can I take to alleviate the pain/inflammation?

Dear Liezle
It is indeed unfortunate that your carpal tunnel syndrome has worsened to such a degree, but this does often happen in pregnancy. Vitamin B complex supplements and calcium and magnesium may help to alleviate some of the symptoms. Discuss this matter with the dr or gynae who is overseeing your pregnancy and ask them to prescribe a vitamin B complex supplement. Only take supplements if your dr gives permission. You can obtain all the calcium you require by having 4 servings of low-fat milk, yoghurt and cottage cheese every day. Not only will this improve your own calcium levels, but also those of your baby.
I do hope your CTS improves. Do have it seen to when your baby is old enough for you to have the ops to relieve the pressure on the nerves leading to your hands. I can vouch that the relief after the ops is tremendous!
Wishing you all the best with the birth

1

Dear Liezle
Wishing you all the best with the birth