Question
Posted by: Mark | 2008/07/22

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Dear Doc

I have been diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (I had nerve conduction tests performed and consulted a Neurosurgeon).

The Neurosurgeon advised that the surgery will be conducted under general anaesthetic. Most of the articles that I have read on the web however state that this can be performed under local anaesthetic.

What is the normal procedure? I do not have any extenuating circumstances as far as I am aware and am scheduled for a straight forward carpal tunnel op.

Mark

Hi Mark
They can do it under local with a Brachial plexus block if really necessary, however they need to put a tourniqet on the arm to prevent bleeding and this can be very uncomfortable, so we usually use general anaesthetic.