Question
Posted by: Cindy | 2010/11/11

Carpal Tunnel

Good day,

My mom had x2 Carpal Tunnel operations (10 years &  2 years ago respectively) and is also suffering from Osteoarthritis.
She is currently struggling with the use of her hands and they are really stiff.

She has returned to the hand specialist - he stated that there is nothing they can do for her.
She has gone for a second opinion and this specialist stated that he would be able to do another Carpal tunnel operation which will be able to give her some relief, and it would probably give her back some use of her hands.

As you can see these answers are on exactly the opposite side of the spectrum.

What advice can you perhaps give us? What are things she can look at that will assist us to make the decision wheter she will be able to go for the operation or not?

Kind regards,

Cindy

Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello Cindy,
Yes the median nerve can be compressed in the Carpal Tunnel. This nerve can also be compressed in several other areas as it travels down the arm from the neck to the hand. I would suggest you consult with a local osteopath to help with this descision.

1
Posted by: osteopath | 2010/11/16

Hello Cindy,

Reply to osteopath