Posted by: Cath | 2009-05-19

carpal tunnel

How do I know when its neccessary to have the carpal release operation to prevent permanent muscle damage? I' ve had carpal tunnel for about 2 yrs, and am currently taking anti-inflammatories at night cos I wake up a few times every night with numb fingers/hands.

Dear Cath
Let a physiotherapist evaluate the strength in your hands and look for signs of muscle atrophy. If there are no signs of muscle weakness or atrophy you could probably treat this conservatively without operation.

Posted by: Karen | 2009-05-19

Hi Cath
I have had carpal tunnel syndrome previously, I would have " pins and needles"  sensation the moment I picked up a book. Furthermore I would awake every morning with total numbness and a lack of strength in my hand. The pain had become excruciating whenever I tried to pick my hand up(with all my fingers pointing upwards) But I must admit after my operation everything returned to normal.

Reply to Karen