Question
Posted by: sam | 2010/07/21

careless feeling

Dear Doctor

I have had my 2nd baby 6 months ago - and breastfed until now. Now that I''m busy weaning him I have this " numb / careless"  feeling all the time. I feel so unmotivated for everything - for example I have a lot of weight to loose after the pregnancy - but I don''t care that I''m so overweight and I''m so board at work, I just do whats necessary. Could it be due to hormones changing or maybe lack of sleep (I get up around 4 times at night for the children)? Should I consult a doctor? I just don''t feel like myself.

It could indeed be due to either, as the hormonal shifts can be more influential than one realises, and the cumulative effect of sleep lack. Although what you are now complaining might seem a bit vague to you ( though bothersome ) it would indeed be a good idea to consult a doc for a proper assessment - this could, for instance, be the beginnings of a post-natal depression, and like all depressions it tends to respond best to early treatment rather than leaving it to become more chemically established

2
Posted by: Leah | 2010/07/21

That lack of caring about anything is not a good sign. Get help now - you will be amazed how meds can turn things around.

Reply to Leah