Question
Posted by: Just me | 2009/10/23

Career decision - Bipolar

Dear CS

Would would you do?

I am stuck in a job where the prospects for development and promotion is in a field that I do not want to persue. (I am good at the job and the company does not want to loose me) I have recently moved from an old fashioned pension fund to a provident fund and this has doubled my pension pay out.

I suffer from a light form of Bipolar, which is under control. (By the way I am up at this time due to my current part time studies)

Senario One:

I stay in may current career stream and complete my studies part time. Still earning my salary, but not enjoying the work. I am also being victimised by a manager who is down right rude, but has all the contacts she needs so that she will not be disciplined.

Senario Two

I quit, take my pension and complete my studies full time. -There will be sufficient funds.* AND then persue the career I really enjoy? This qualification will be a Bachelors Degree, where my current studies is only for a Diploma. This will basically triple my earning potential.

Contributing factors to the decision:

1 I am the main bread winner
2 I have 2 minor children
3 I am a white femaile (AA positions)
4 During previous bullying sessions by the aforementioned manager I have considered suicide and have self harmed.

Your opinion will be appreciated, as I am having sleepless nights with this.

Regards.

Just Me

Relieved to hear it's your studies that has you up at 3 am ! I well remember such days...
OK, your present job position sounds secure and comfortable, but not exactly challenging. Is the ONLY route for promotion and growth in the one direction you don't find appealing ?
Pleased to hear your bipolar is under control.
You outline your choices eloquently, though I don't see how I could help you make the choice, as there are points to be said in favour of either option. Naturally, or you would already have found the decision easy !
How long will it take to complete the degree part-time versus fulltime ? How easy to get are the better posts available with the degree ? If the company really doesn't want to lose you, can't they sweeten or enrich your present post ? And cant they provide some protection from the obnoxious manager ?

3
Posted by: Bee | 2009/10/23

why would you ever want to committ suicide due to a nasty boss? scenario two!

Reply to Bee
Posted by: Bee | 2009/10/23

Reply to Bee