Posted by: Mel C | 2012-11-19

career crisis

hello doc, i''m over 45yrs and need want to find a new career.
About me history then, i was a policeman for 15yrs, left at age 39, joined a casino 6yrs ago.The problem is shift work and workin in a smokin areas are really gettin to me.
I''ve realised now that i love to work in a library, i love books, the question is , at age 46, is it possible a make a career to be a librarian.
I really do believe that society in general gives the thumbs down to people who are over a certain age limit

Its a shame that SA law isn't properly formed and applied - nobody should be required, EVER< to work in a smoking environment. Passive smoking IS dangerous to non-smokers. I suppose casinos want to do nothing to discourage punters from losing their money, but aren't there some relevant laws about smoking in enclosed public spaces ?
Now, I'm no expert ( though I love books, and have written quite a few ) on librarianship, but I don't see any reason why you could not explore a career in this field. Search the web and get information on qualifications and training needed, and speak to local librarians about thi, and about how to find openings. Yes, society is indeed Ageist ( which is quite as bad as being racist or sexist, or any other form of irrational prejudice ). But we have to do what we can, and keep exploring opportunities.