Posted by: Kerry | 2013-01-23

Career choices

Do you have any advice for me?
Aside from waitering and a few weeks admin work I have no work experience.
I have for the most part been at home taking care of housework and our baby (9 months old now) since finishing school a couple of years ago. My fiancee has been providing for us, but it has been a tight/uncomfortable at times, especially as of late. Money is not that important to me but I don''t want it to be a constant worry and I feel bad for not contributing and essentially just being a burden.
Sitting home all day is driving me mad, I need/want to do something. I want to earn my keep. I am also extremely shy and I feel that these past few years of isolation from the world hasn''t done me any good.
My fiancee has offered to pay for my studies if I can find something to do, but have been looking through UNISA and several college''s sites and I have no idea what to study and I''m afraid of making a bad choice. The things that interests me all seem like things that will have little to no oppertunities for actually finding work later on.

In the situation you describe, you obviously ARE contributing, and are NOT being a burden, but I understand that you might feel that way. And yes, a virtually isolated existence doesn't help one to become less shy.
Our readers may have useful advice, as many, I know, have dealt successfully with similar situations. Maybe first look not speicifically at what to study, but at what you'd like to be qualified to do, what sort of work-life you'd find fulfilling, though you're right that one needs to take into account employability and realisrtic job-opportunities. Studying 15th century Spanish poetry might be fun, but not too likely to lead to many job-offers.
As Maria and Purple say, there are psychologists and others who can perform tests that reveal both your range of interests and talents / competencies, and can based better career counselling on such results.

Posted by: Purple | 2013-01-23

I agree, a career counsellor can perhaps help you refine your search a bit and help you find practical fields in your areas of interest.

Taking care of a baby is important work - so you are contributing to your family life - don''t knock yourself.

You''d only start studying next year as applications close during December/Jan, so you''ve got some time to think about things.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Maria | 2013-01-23

If you can afford it then I suggest you see a career counseller who will test your aptitude and interests and help you make a decision on what to study.

Reply to Maria