Posted by: Clarissa | 2012-02-23

Career Change?

Hi, I have been employed at a major bank for the last 8 years and work from home. However, due to departmental changes I have been placed in a new position and I am totally demotivated, depressed.
I etiher want to start my own business or go into franchising. I am very creative and at 30+ i HAVE to make a change. I have 3 kids to consider in my decision so I need a steady income.

Expert ImageExecutive coach

Hi Clarissa, thank you for your question.

There are a number of options.

Working for yourself:
As an entrepreneur you can expect to not have a steady income.
The average entrepreneur earns less than their salaried couterparts.
You can expect to initially (first few years) sleep less and work harder than you are used to.

Should you wish to follow the entrepreneurial route, start cutting back now on luxuries, as there will most probably be reduced monthly cashflow.

If you are not phased by the above, perhaps you are the type of person who can become a successful entrepreneur.

Are you using your creativity already to earn some extra income, or to satisfy your creativity urges? If not, start to flex those mental muscles, and ask others for their honest opinion.

Should you need startup capital, get advice from someone in the know. Perhaps you can get a loan while you still have a job.

Working for others:
Have you spoken to HR at the bank and expressed your lack of motivation? Perhaps there is another post open for you, if not now, down the line.

Have you drawn up a list of things you like doing, and things you are good at (that other people also say you are good at, good enough to make a living from) and drawn up a CV accordingly?
Taking action will help you to make decisions.