Posted by: E | 2011-07-31

Career change

I studied and then worked in my profession as a social worker, for 10 years, but find many other things more interesting, and am thinking about changing careers. What should I do?

Expert ImageExecutive coach

There are two areas to consider here, yourself and your career. Write down your thoughts.
Self: In your life outside of your career, how have and your values changed in the last 10 years, and are you happy with who you are? How does this affect your view of your current career?

Career: How would changing the organisation you are with, change how you see your career?
What does the future hold for you if you stay on the current path?

If you do decide to change, to make the transition more manageable, go on courses, consider freelancing and volunteering in your new field to see if it meets your expectation. At the same time get to know other people in the same industry. Often your own commitment level will be a measure for you how interested you really are. Also, see in what ways you can leverage off your current job for the new career, e.g. are there contacts you can use, or will you be able to sell your services back to your old employer.