Posted by: Ben | 2012-01-30

Career Assessment a flop

Hi, I went for a career assessment because I feel lost in the world. I got my results and they are weird…  I remembered after I did the assessment I told my parents while in high school that I wanted to be a journalist, but they never did anything about it. I went off to study a bit of motor mechanics, then work in all sorts of fields (retail, construction, graphic design etc).

The results of the test say odd things, like I should become a glass blower, a paramedic or an ambulance driver. How do they get to those results? I don’ t have a strong stomach at all, am not that creative and feel I just wasted my R2000 now on this. After I did the rest and I remembered I wanted to be a journalist, I was hoping that the test would agree with that, but it’ s all weird things. I’ m feeling quite despondent about it- I feel I got ripped off now. I mean this guy seemed so qualified  he has Honour Degrees in Psychology, Philosophy, he’ s an Assessor of NQF unit standards, he’ s a Founding Individual Member of the Ethics Institute of South Africa (all according to his website) and he comes up with GLASS BLOWER??? I feel even more lost now. And short R2k.

HI ben, Well, of coure, I don't know what they did in your paricular testing session, but the results sound a bit odd. I wonder how on earth they identify somene absolutel ideal for glass blowing ? That truly is weird !
The Ethics Insitute thing is irrelevant an insignificant, and much the ret. Usually, the tests should asess two broad fields. Your interests and your aptitudes --- if you hve no sense of balance, it doesnt mater if you're fasciated by tightrope walking, that would not be a good career for you, and so on. If you're somone who really wants to help other pople, ambulance man would be a reasonable alernative, amongst many others. But hardly if you're likely to faint at the sight of blood !
And with any competent testing, they should sit down with you after having calculated the results, and explain and discus them with you. And if they specialise and advertise themselves in his field, I'd expect them to be up to date also with job opportunities