Question
Posted by: L30n | 2010/08/22

Career advice

I am a 29 year old late bloomer due to selfish parents who took me out of school at the age of 16 (st.8) to help them in they’ re businesses. At the age of 26 I had enough of helping my parents without any form of pay and moved to Cape Town. I joined a company, working as a technical call centre agent. I make a good enough pay to just-just look after myself but the work is getting to me. I cannot stand it but have to work here, as finding a proper job with my qualification is almost impossible.

I’ ve always wanted to study but like I said, my parents never cared to help me in any way even after hundreds of promises. I never received any pay for helping them, only empty promises that they will help me with studies. I now want to study but have no idea what. I went to a psychologist who made me write a few test but it did not help me one bit.

I was thinking of studying marine biology but I feel like I might be to old to study it as I have to do my matric first and by then I’ ll be 30 years old. I want to do something with my life, something that I can work on and become the best at but at the same time I want to enjoy it and receive a proper pay.

RThat certainly was selfish of them - and working you with no pay was possibly against the law. Is there any chance of reminding them of their empty promises, and shaming them into paying for your extra studies ?
Lets see what other readers may say, tomorrow - explore possibilities for part-time, evening classes, and other ways of adding to your educational qualifications.
Sorry to hear the psychologist you saw wasn't useful - the right ones should be able to asess your skills and aptitudes, and your interests, and to recommend a range of activities in which you could succeed AND enjoy the work.
I don't know enough about marine biology to be sure - are there enough viable jobs in that field, to make it worth the extra studies ? And what are the course requirements and length,
These days one could probably find quite a bit of the information online, which would be quicker that using the slow posts.
30 isn't too old to start any field of studies - I have known people start medical school that old and older. Though in some courses, like medicine, they tend to discourage this both because the course is extremely tiring, and very long, so that it would be years later, even of one passed every exam first time, before one could eventually enter practice. But other fields of biology should be practical.
I wonder whether the dept of labour provides some facilities for skills testing, and proper expert advice on carrer choice for the many people who missed out the first time round.

3
Posted by: Unique | 2010/08/23

It''s never too late. my mom went to college at 31 and it was the best decision EVER. We (her children and some of her siblings children) have education today because of that decision.

Reply to Unique
Posted by: Purple | 2010/08/23

You''re going to turn 30 anyway.

There are very few jobs availalbe in marine biology and you''ll probably earn less than you earn now anyway as its all dependent on availability of research grants etc.

Do some research and go to see an industrial psychologist to do some aptitude testing and then look up in those fields before deciding what to study.

Reply to Purple