Question
Posted by: anne | 2010/01/18

career

Hi. I dont know what to do.... I have a very boring job (PA), been here for 4 years and go from one day to the next without much to do, therefore my self esteem has taken a bit of a knock. I therefore decided to do my honours as I can access the internet from work, make calls, do assignments, read articles during working hours. However, I feel that I need to do work when I am at work. I have been approached by a competitor to work for them also as a PA, where I will be hectically busy, working a lot of overtime, but paid really well. The problem is I will be doing basically the same work which is such brain dead work. I want to study further so that I can can change careers totally. So, my problem is: do I now resign and go to the competitor, so that I can feel valued again. Or stay where I am and complete my honours in 2 years and change careers totally.... I am so confused on what to do.

The admin side of the site was malfunctioning at midday Monday so I copied and saved the reply I had written, finding that I couldn't even post it from the main forum site. Here's what I wrote then :
" Its remarkable how often I hear something similar - and I wonder how any company can be foolish enough to hire someone and not to keep them busy, and not even to recognize that it's the best potential workers who feel unhappy when they are not kept busy.
You're not quite clear in your message you say you want to study further, but then you talk about completing your honours, so apparently you're already engaged in further study ? Isnt the prospect of finishing your honours and then finding more fulfilling work with that, attractive ? And are you sure that if you went to the competitor, you would actually be better employed and feel more valued ? "

3

Posted by: anne | 2010/01/18

Hi Sam, I am 38

Reply to anne
Posted by: Sam | 2010/01/18

How old are you?

Reply to Sam