Posted by: Kelly | 2009-05-04

Hi CS!

Can you or other readers please help.
I really am not sure what I could study... Or what I' m good at... or even what I enjoy.
I' ve gone for career counseling but never really helped all that much.
Just came up with careers that I for sure do not want to go into or do not think I would be very good at.

Ok so I don' t think I' m very creative, really not good at math and all careers I would consider this is needed on a very high level.Physics was not one of my subjects which limits me even more.
I do not want to be a secretary or work in a call centre.
I don' t think I am very good with people and then again, not very sympathetic or empathetic..
Moody at times...

I love surfing the net ... Not very good with computer applications though.
Enjoy nature, hiking and don' t mind getting abit dirty.
Love kids although not too much patience.
Love money and shopping ... oh eating good food but not cooking
Love the human body, the way it works and such.
Biology was my favorite subject.
Keeping in mind not physics and not too good math.
Any ideas???

I' m googling but can' t seem to find anything.

Sorry to hear the career counselling didn't help --- was it a lousy counsellor, or didn't you like the advice you got ? Usually they do tests for (a) what you like, and (b) what you could be good at. So identifying things you'd hate to do, or would really suck at, is useful.
Lack of maths and physics ( you could specially do these subjects, if they were essential for a career you really wanted ) only blocks some careers, in science / medicine, engineering, and so on. Not being good with people limits you more, in a way, as so many jobs need that --- how many working people would you go to, for anything, if they weren't polite and patient and nice to you ?
There's not much demand for jobs that would pay you to surf the net, infortunately. Most people are happy to do that for themselves. I suppose there might be some small jobs in advertising, or such fields, that wanted someone to scan the wen and search for topics and ads relevant to their clients.
In nature and hiking there are potential jobs, in nature conservancy, game-ranging, and so on.
Again, I don't see too many people wanting to pay you to go shopping ( though some stores, I think, have "personal shoppers" who work with special clients to know exactly what they'd like, and then shop for them ) --- and I don't know anyone who would pay you to eat for them. ( If you find any, let me know --- I could do with a part-time job in that field !)
Could you learn computer applications that would help you get some jobs ?
Biology was a favourite subject ? Only te HUMAN body you like ? Or could you work as a veterinary assistant, animal rescue, whatever ?
How adaptable are you ? COuld you learn new skills and knowledge to suit yourself for a good job ?
And. setting aside what you like, think broadly. Of people you know or have met, which work in a job you wouldn't mind doing ?

Posted by: Liza | 2009-05-04

The amount of info required to make this kind of decision is far too much to post. With the limited information supplied, I would hazard a guess that the game ranger idea of DW is quite a good one.

What are your qualifications and do you want to study further? Perhaps another stab at career counseling (private with a registered psychologist) could help?

Good Luck

Reply to Liza
Posted by: DW | 2009-05-04

You said you like nature, hiking etc. What about trying to become a game ranger or something in that line of work.

Reply to DW