Posted by: Rob28 | 2010-05-09

Cardiopulmonary distress

Dear Dr,
Firstly, thank you for working on on this forum. It is invaluable to people like myself, whom cannot afford medical care (not even the State variety - R20 is a lot when you don''t have it)

Here are my symptoms:
- persistent cough (it''s been about a decade)
- cough " builds up"  and feels like I''m choking (phlegm is present and clear) I cough so much so that I am light headed, my vision blurs and it sounds like I am 250 years old (I have never smoked). This happens about once an hour
- sometimes when I''m lying down, my heart races and my breathing increases, this is alleviated by getting up
- I am constantly tired to the point of falling asleep

- pins and needles occur in my feet and hands from time to time
- when I inhale I can feel resistance to breathing, but it goes in.

Rx: Epilim CR 500mg bd, Camcolit 800mg nocte, Folic Acid 5mg mane (ICD 10: F31.7)

Thank you again doctor

A chronic cough has to be investigated. A sputum sample analysis and a chest x-ray will have to be done. Unfortunately, using a cough suppressant will not be advisable, as you will only be treating the symptom and not the cause. I am therefore, I am sorry to tell you that you will have to consult a doctor.

There a multitude of reasons for a chronic cough and your other symptoms and it is very difficult to make a diagnosis without and examination and special investigations.

Posted by: Rob28 | 2010-05-10

Thank you Dr Burger.

I will scrape it together and see a doctor. It might not be in the next few months, but I''ll do it eventually.

Keep well Dr,

Reply to Rob28