Cardio vs Weights

Hi, I am currently trying to lose about 15kg. In what ratio should I do cardio to weight training? Currently I am doing 40 min treadmill (+/- 4.5km) and 15 min weights / circuit training. Most of my excess weight is around my stomach, thighs and hips.
I am a 28 year old female.

HI there

I think your ratio is pretty good now. My first advice to people at the outset of training is to aim for a 70-30 split, so 3 days of cardio, 1 of weights, or 45 minutes cardio, 15 weights. So you're pretty much on that.

I'm not convinced that doing them on the same day is the best way to go, because you're squeezing the weight training into a really short period, and that can be difficult. So I'd make a small change, and that's to do 45minutes of cardio with 10 or 15 minutes weights on three days, and a fourth day with say 25 minutes cardio and 25 minutes weights, just to get a more substantial weight section.

This has to do with WHAT you do in training, because just spending time is not necessarily all it takes (obviously), there's also what you need to do with it. So the intensity of training is something to address. For example, I think the treadmill duration is great, and what you need to do now is continue to build your fitness so that by the end of say May, you're up to say 6km in the time - this means adding in sections of jogging, mixed with walking, and challenging yourself once or twice a week (not all the time) to go a little further.

Posted by: TLD | 2009-05-05

When I decided to get in shape I did cardio and weights everyday. I still start my session off with 20 minutes of interval training 4-5kms on the treadmill or 5-6kms rowing followed by 40 minutes of resistance training. I recommend you do a lot of squats, its a brilliant exercise for burning fat and strengthening the entire body.

Have fun!

Reply to TLD