Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2011/10/21

Cardio vs weight training

Hi Doc,

Could you please give me advice, I''ve been trying to lose weight and for the past 5 weeks I''ve been doing 3days a week cardio for 30 min and 2day a week weight traing, and I haven''t lost any weight although my body shape has change. I''m rethinking that perhaps I should rather do cardio for 5days a week 40min just until I''v lost the weight and then go back on weight training, which of the above mention will I lose weight the fastest?

Hi Lisa

Well done on the changes you're seeing so far. Don't underestimate that, it's great progress. Often the number on the scale is the LAST thing to change because as you train, you increase plasma volume and also muscle mass, which kind of "hides" anything you're losing. But if you're getting fitter, and your shape is changing, then you're achieving a lot!

You can make that change - but I wouldn't go the whole hog and do 5 days, I'd do 4 and keep 1 day of weight training. As I say, the 3-2 split is really helping you, it's working, and the change might be fixing something that isn't really broken.

Also, don't forget that your other option is to increase from 30 min cardio to 40 min (if this is an option), and if you do that, that's an extra 30 min per week, which is basically adding a day of cardio without taking away weight training.

There's no "fastest" way, because everyone responds differently, so keep doing what works, and what you enjoy (this is vital - if you enjoy weights, then do it twice a week, no matter what works on paper!)!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/10/30

Hi Lisa

Reply to fitnessdoc