Posted by: steve | 2012-10-23

CArdio check up

I went for a cardio check up my history is as follows: indian male 38 yrs fairly fit cycling 3 time a week. Cardiologist said heart function was fine. He measure valve opening with an ultrasound (I think?) all ok he said. BP 125/70. Genetically both sides of my family (mom and dad) have heart attacks bypass etc. did blood tests and found cholesterol 5.6 fasting test. Diabetes 5.2 . Resting and stress ecg was normal he took my heart rate to 193 and more and all seemed normal
Diet not so good. What advice can you give me? Will changing my diet help and should I increase my exercise routine. Is it necessary to go onto statins and other meds? What risk am I in I m very worried. May I carry on with my fitness routine or will this be harmful as it becomes very intense closer to big races. I was told of people who collapsed and died because of high cholesterol and strenuous activity?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Steve,

Thanks for your questions. I presume you don’t smoke. Are you overweight?

As you are young, are exercising regularly,don’t smoke and are not diabetic, your chance of having heart problems in the next ten years is low and your cholesterol not high enough to justify a statin at this stage. However, you should definitely continue your exercise programme, and try to make sure that you maintain ideal body weight. It is true that the risk of heart attack is slightly increased while people are exercising. However the long term benefits of exercise far outweigh the small risk of a heart attack while actually exercising.

As with everybody else, your risk of heart attack will increase as you get older, particularly because of your family history. When you get to age 45 I would suggest you have a special x-ray to measure your coronary calcium score. This will tell you whether or not you have any hardening of the arteries at age 45. If you do, then I would definitely start a statin and continue it indefinitely, as well as low dose aspirin. Please make sure that your sugar and blood pressure are checked regularly and that they are well within normal limits, and please make sure that you maintain ideal body weight and keep exercising! If your body weight is normal, you exercise regularly, and your cholesterol, your sugar and your blood pressure are all very well controlled, then there is every chance that you will avoid the problems that your parents had.

Best wishes, JT

Posted by: steve | 2012-11-05

thanks Dr really appreciated
no i m not overweight and do not smoke either. my diet has changed alot in the last 2 weeks . just one quick question does this flora proactive rally work or is it just marketin

Reply to steve