Question
Posted by: Philani | 2009/02/02

Cardio before weights

Hi Doc,

I generally divide my days between weights and cardio, my goal is to get more toned. I' d like to know whether on the weight days I sould satrt with 5 to 10 min cardio? I so waht will be the benefits of this.

Hi Philani

I think it's a good idea just as an easy warmup. Even if all you ever did was weights, it would be a good idea to warm up properly before, and 5 to 10 min of cardio is the way to do this.

So yes, take the first five minutes as a light cardio session, just to warm the muscles up, ease into the training session and get ready for it. You'll reduce the risk of injury if you do this.