Posted by: Brandon | 2011-06-27

Cardio &  Weight training

Hi. Training for Ironman 70.3. Have done a smaller triathlon before. In training I am also wanting to do weight training. Due to work, weather, etc it is hard to train both in the morning and night (well until summer). Is a two hour evening session (1hr cardio &  1hr weights) too much on the body? I know it might be but just want confirmation. Thanks.

Hi Brandon

Not necessarily. depends on what happens either side of it, and for the rest of the week. Two hours a day every day is really tough. Probably too much for all but the lucky few who can rest in between (and of course, your job means you're not among them!)

I wonder whether it's really needed right now? Of course, you have to put in the time, and big time, later on, but I think you can probably get away with shorter sessions in the week, focus on the quality of training and leave the weekends for the long rides or runs, or those brick sessions.

I think that would still allow you the 15 to 18 hours a week (max) and that's what you need. But two hours a day every day is too consistently high, most probably. But three hours on a Saturday, two on Sunday, a rest on Monday, that's not nearly as tough.