Posted by: Gemini | 2009-04-14

Cardio - a waste of time

I spoke to a person who has her own gym and she said to me that I will not get results without a personal trainer. Also the type of cardio I do, is a waste of time, because there is no resistance. I train 3-4 days a week and do 1 1/2 hour of cardio every second day. Am I wasting my time?

HI Gemini

I'm sure she believes that, but I'm also sure she's involved in personal training and maybe makes some money that way, so her opinion is clouded by her conflict of interests.

As for the cardio, that's not entirely true. Even if you just walk, there is resistance, it's just that it's much less than if you lift weights. But there are still merits, and that's the reason you keep doing it. Cardio helps to burn energy, and energy in the form of fat is what you want to burn. So cardio helps with weight loss, and also fitness and health. It's vital if you wish to reduce cholesterol, improve heart function, BP and so on. So ignore what she says, it's not a waste of time at all.

Tried and trusted principles of exercise work, these great ideas and new fads very rarely have any merit other than making money for people somewhere along the line.

Posted by: scorpio | 2009-04-17

Hi Gemini - it depends what your goals are. If you want to change your body shape, you need to do high intensity training which is things like sprints. Look at marathan runners and sprinters, they are build very differently. The long hours of cardio you are doing at the moment, will keep your body shape exactly the same, just make you a smaller version.

Reply to scorpio
Posted by: Tom | 2009-04-14

1 1/2 hours is a very long time to be doing cardio. It would be better if you split it to 30 mins cardio 30 mins resistance/core or even 40 20 up to you but 1 1/2 hours is way to long for cardio alone.

Reply to Tom