Posted by: Nicolette | 2011-09-24

I have been getting heart palpitations for a few years. I had a heart attack a few years back. But no damage was done to my heart. The doctor was unable to find the cause of the palpitations, but every time I get them its as if a pressure woulds in my head and it feels like my head wants to explode.I don''t have high cholesterol.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Nicolette,

Heart palpitations are common and can occur in patients with perfectly normal hearts. If they occur in patients who have normal hearts then almost always the palpitations are benign. The best way to deal with them is to have an ECG done when you actually have the palpitations, which you can then show to your doctor and will make his job much easier.

Heart attacks by definition cause some damage to the heart, so I am not certain whether you had a real heart attack (“coronary thrombosis”.) Also, you don’t mention your age. It is important to remember that palpitations are an electrical condition involving the wiring and rhythm of the heart, whereas heart attacks are invariably due to problems with the “plumbing” of the heart muscle, ie blockages of the coronary arteries.

It doesn’t sound as though you have anything to worry about but I would try hard to have an ECG done during palpitations and then discuss the problem with your family doctor, or alternatively ask him/her to refer you to a physician or cardiologist.

Best wishes, JT.