Question
Posted by: dw | 2010/05/20

Carbs when sick

Hi Doc. When I have flu, I tend to crave carbs for dinner. Whereas if Im healthy, I can just have a salad for dinner and Im satisfied. Is this normal?

Dear DW
Craving carbs usually indicates that your diet is deficient in carbohydrates, esp those with a low glycaemic index or GI. So make sure that you are having at least one serving of low-GI, low-fat carbs at each meal even when you are not sick. Illness tends to make one feel depressed and eating carbs increases a chemical in the brain called serotonin which lifts the mood. So the body tries to increase the serotonin levels in the brain by prompting you to eat carbs. Diets that cut out all carbs are not balanced, so check out the slimming diet on this Website as an example of a balanced, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). If you don't need to lose weight then you can have larger portions of the suggested foods.

1

Dear DW