Question
Posted by: Karen | 2012-11-13

Carbs

My dad is diabetic and visit a dietician but did not tell him how much carbs is he allowed to eat per day i am concern because my mother feeds him about 90carbs per day i think only 50 is enough he went to a diabetic doctor and he was enjecting to much ensulin and got fatter and fatter by the day so she told my dad to se the dietician which is fine he now has to count the carbs but she did not told him how much per day to eat We have a big fight about this can you help his weight is 118kgs
Karen

Dear Karen
I am sorry to hear that your Dad is suffering from insulin-dependent diabetes. I am not sure what your dietitian recommended but she probably advised your Dad on how many servings of each type of food he can have every day and also when (timing of food intake is very important esp. in insulin-dependent diabetes). The first thing you need to do, is to phone your dietitian and ask her to allay your concerns. The person prescribing the diet is the best one to ask regarding the details she recommended. What you need to keep in mind, is that diabetics are allowed to eat carbohydrates as long as the quantities and timing of intake are tailored to the patient's insulin use. If your Dad is an overweight adult man he probably requires about 8400 kJ per day (energy) spread throughout the day. If he eats 90 g of carbohydrates (1 g of carbohydrate provides 17 kJ), thus 90 x 17 kJ = 1530 kJ, then this only represents 18.2% of his daily energy intake which is very low. If he only has 50 g of carbohydrates a day (850 kJ), then the contribution of his carbohydrate intake to his daily energy intake drops to 10,1% and may cause ketosis which can be highly dangerous.
So please do phone your dietitian so that she can also explain to you what your Dad's diet should consist of and discuss this carbohydrate issue with her.