Question
Posted by: Riaan | 2011-05-04

Carbs

Hi Doc. I still need to lose about 10kg. I have lost 10kg since I started cycling. I spin or cycle in the venings for about an hour. When is the correct times of the day for me to eat carbs?

Dear Riaan
Congratulations for losing those 10 kg - you are a **star**! You don't mention if you are also using an energy-reduced diet to achieve weightloss?? If you are, then you should make sure that you eat a low-glycaemic index (GI) carbohydrate at each meal to sustain your blood sugar levels throughout the day. Doing a lot of physical exercise increases your carbohydrate requirement and most top athletes cut down on fat intake, but eat considerable portions of low-fat, high-fibre carbohydrates to fuel their exercise. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read the articles about 'Diets for sportsmen and women', esp the one on 'Carbo-loading'. To read more about low-GI foods, click on 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index'.
Keep up the good work with the cycling

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-05-04

Dear Riaan
Keep up the good work with the cycling