Posted by: greg | 2009-06-20

is it normal to put on fat when introducing carbs to one' s diet after having lived the ' low carb'  lifestyle for quite sometime? I am training with heavy weights, doing some cardio and eating well yet im not losing any fat at all, in fact, im gaining. I used the caloric equation and im in the ' cutting'  zone. Whats happening? Had my blood, etc checked and everything is normal. The only things i can think of is my body might be shocked from the carbs or like the other guy wrote, my aerobic abilities might not be working. Please shed some light on the subject. Thanks.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Greg

Yes, it is common, but just hang in there you need to make your body understand how to deal with carbs again as they are vital to your progress!
If you are not losing body fat you will have to cut some calories – you are burning fewer calories than what you need. You might be dishing up more calories than what you think you are or alternatively you need fewer calories than what you calculated! Thus cut about 100-200 calories per week and keep on adjusting it weekly till you find the tipping point – you need to be in a calorie deficit to lose body fat.

Good luck and take care!