Posted by: Al | 2009-03-24

If a slice of seed low Gi bread is roughly 36grams in carbs, does eating anything less than that in terms of a carb, maybe a cracker or two mean you are eating less than 1 serving of the carb? i.e if the 2 crackers are 11g in carbs, does that mean you' ve eaten less than 1 serving of carb?

Dear Al
I am not sure which approach you are using? Are you counting carbs or using a low-GI diet or trying to balance servings for a diabetic diet for example? Depending on which approach you are using, the slice of seed bread may count as 2 servings. I did a survey on low-GI breads a while ago and the Woolworths low-GI seedloaf bread contains 33.4 g of carbs per 100g. Now a standard serving would be 1 slice weighing approx 48 g which would contain only 16g of carbs, which is close to your 2 crackers containing 11 g of carbs. I would say that 1 slice of seedloaf weighing 48 g and containing 16g of carbs is equivalent to having 3 crackers which would contain 16,5 g of carbs.
Hope this helps