advertisement
Question
Posted by: Rachel | 2011-04-15

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning &  seizures

Recently my father had a visit to the hospital for a unrelated cause, while at the hospital my father needed blood taken for tests and during the procedure my father had a seisure. My father has never really liked hospitals and was in a great deal of stress due to the fact of why he was there, now long story short they took my fathers drivers license away and he owns his own business and is a landscaper in which he needs to drive everywhere, do to this we are in the midst of a battle over trying to pay our bills and keep our house and food on the table. My father has always kinda been stressed and about 4-5 years ago my father was in the garage working on his truck and had passed out later to find out he had carbon monoxide poisoning. When at the hospital the doctors didnt really treat him for why he originally had gone but instead treated him for the seizure, they only took blood tests and asked questions which then resulted in his license being suspended. Now the first night he was there he was in the ER and the doctor looking after him was told to give him " phenytoin (Dilantin)"  and before giving it to my father stated he shouldnt be given it because they normally give it to patients after at least having a second seizure or a history of. Since that day hes been on the medication aswell as another medication i am not sure of, either way my question boils down to a few. One because hes had no history of seizures were they right to take his license away and if so is there anyway to fight it or allow testing to prove otherwise. Aswell as that my second question is basically a statement and then a question, but we read on the internet the stages of carbon monoxide poisoning and he says he was about 30-40% exposure and weve read that higher amounts can cause seizures but i assume that is at the time of exposure, can this also cause seizures in the future such as 5+ years later? Please help, Please a and thankyou :D

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Rachel

I really suggest that your father consult a neurologist for a second opinion and EEG to confirm epilepsy. Unfortunately, if you are diagnosed with epilepsy, your driver's license will be suspended for a full year. If you have no seizures in this time, your driver's license will be returned to you. I doubt that the insident has anything to do with the carbon dioxide exposure.

Regards




Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement