Question
Posted by: Maria | 2010/09/14

Carbohydrates and serotonin levels

Hey CS

I hope you are well and kitty is happy!

I asked DietDoc a question and one of the things she said is that if you eat a diet low in carbs you can a craving for sweet things because of low levels of serotonin in the brain. Is that true? I''m trying to change my diet to be more healthy, eating porridge in the morning for carbs and replacing my lunchtime sandwich with yogurt / chicken breast / veggies etc. But the last thing I want to do is destabilise my brain chemistry, as it is my meds are just keeping me sane.

Kitty is going on heat again ( she had a botched op to spey her, when a kitten, so it can't be repeated ). So she gets clingy and scratchy, like an amorous cactus.
Serotonin is one of a number of chemicals ( including dopamine ) that are part of what keeps us feeling cheerful ( when we are actually feeling cheerful ) and in my experience, diet rarely influences them significantly enough to destabilize mood, especially the healthy sort of diet you are describing

2
Posted by: Happiness | 2010/09/14

Hi Maria,

I have been on a strict low carb. diet. Yes I craved sweets and too much sugar makes me ill, but I couldn''t help it! Also my energy levels dropped since I love exercising. Then I switched back to the normal diet, almost like the one you are using and the cravings dissapeard. My energy levels have improved. Its all about balance.

Reply to Happiness