Question
Posted by: Antoinette | 2012/04/19

Carbohydrate resistance / intolerance testing

Is there specific test that without a doubt inform a person if you are carbohydrate resistant? Does the resistance mean that you will experience health problems, or just discomfort.

Dear Antoinette
I tried to explain in my article on 'Three Diet Questions' that there is no such thing as carbohydrate resistance, but that some individuals develop what is called Insulin Resistance. If you suspect that you are suffering from Insulin Resistance, then you should ask your doctor to arrange for a Glucose Tolerance Test to check your blood glucose and insulin levels. People with insulin resistance can go on to gain a lot of weight and even become obese, and/or develop type 2 diabetes, so it is important to diagnose and treat Insulin Resistance.
On the other hand people who are actually allergic or intolerant to carbohydrates (i.e. wheat, or gluten sensitivity or coeliac disease), also need to undergo tests arranged by their dr to get diagnosed and they need to consult a registered dietitian for help with a gluten-free diet. Gluten allergy can cause great discomfort, pain, and stunted growth in children.

1

Dear Antoinette