Posted by: Eddy | 2009-07-22

Carbohydrate and fat loss

Hi there, I hope that all is good and well your side.

I am seriously battling to lose body fat. When I consume few carbs but higher protein I tend to lose fat quickly, but battle to increase lean muscle mass. So I increased my carb intake to about 300 - 400 a day while still keeping my calories at maintenance level, yet I cant help but put fat on. I have had my blood checked, etc and everything is normal. Is there a possibility that I should be on a moderate carb and a high protein regime? According to what I have read, it would appear that I am an endomorph. I lift weights, eat clean and do boxing, so the activity is up to par too, and so is my resting. I' m about 16%BF at 183m &  106kg' s (24years). I eat a lot of fibre, drink water, the whole thing, and many people (doctors, dieticians, etc) all suggest that I keep my carbs to like 40 - 60% total daily caloric intake. I' ve done this while maintaining a slight caloric deficit, yet I cannot lose an ounce of fat. Do the rules of an endomorph apply to me? Am I carb sensitive?

Thank you very much...

Dear Eddy
Thank you I am well, just a bit tired at the moment. You do seem to have a problem. Your present BMI = 29 which is above the normal range (18-25), but as I presume that you are a strength athlete the best indication of the fact that you do have some fat that is hampering your progress, is the 16% BF. According to Prof Tim Noakes in his book 'Lore of Running' the average BF for adult men who are not elite athletes is 14%. Did you have your insulin levels checked when the blood tests were done? if not, this may well give us a clue why you are not losing weight or body fat despite your strenuous workouts. If you do tend towards insulin resistance then this could explain why eating carbs, even high-fibre carbs does not work for you. You would need to use low glycaemic index (GI) carbs and a low fat, moderate protein diet to achieve weightloss. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. I would also suggest that you try increasing your aerobic exercise for a while until you have decreased your body fat%.