Carbohydrate and fat loss

Is it usual to put on fat when carbs have been increased after being on a low carb eating regime for a long time? I do have been training for 6 years and constantly eat healthy. I just dont understand how after all the cardio and weight training along with a clean and balanced (60/25/15) diet, I still increase in body fat...
I have had my blood checked and everything is normal... Please help.

Dear Carbs & Fat Loss
If you keep in mind that most top athletes use a diet that consists mainly of carbs (up to 70% carbs), because carbs are the best source of readily available energy for strenuous physical activity, then it is not logical that carbs should cause weight gain when you use them instead of protein while training hard. Carbs after all only contain 16 kJ/gram. If you add fats to your carbs which most people tend to do, then considering that fat contains 37 kJ per gram, this could well be the problem. If you are still on a low-fat diet then you may well have an insulin problem. Did you have your insulin levels checked when you had your blood tests? Another factor could be a reduction in your total energy expenditure or an increase in your total energy intake. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who specialises in sports nutrition to assist you with your diet if you are training hard.

Posted by: Lynette | 2009-06-22

Ek wil net graag uitvind of dit sal sleg wees vir my 6 jarige seuntjie om dieet koeldranke (soos bv. Tab, Diet Coke ens.) te drink?
Hy weier om enige ander koeldrank as " Coke"  te drink en sy gewig ly kwaai daaronder. Hy geniet glad nie aanmaakkoeldranke nie en vrugtesap is onbekostigbaar.

Reply to Lynette