Posted by: Klaudija | 2010-09-30

Thanks for all your answers!
I would like to know what it could possibly be that when I eat anything that contains carbohydrate or starch (bread, potato, rice and even cereal or provita) I get bloated within 10 minutes, so much so that I can feel the bubbling inside my stomach. This will then make me feel really uncomfortable and will take up to a day to clear. Sometimes it will even increase the need to go to the bathroom. Is it possible that it''s a wheat or carbohydrate or some kind of intolerance and where could I have something like this tested?

Dear Klaudija
If you find that high-fibre carbohydrates like bread, cereals, Provita, etc) cause bloating, pain and increased bowel movements, then it is possible that you are sensitive to wheat or insoluble dietary fibre or some other common component of these foods. You may also be suffering from irritable bowel syndrom (IBS) of the diarrhoea variety. I would recommend that you consult a gastroenterologist (medical dr who specialises in the digestive tract - ask your gp to refer you) so that the dr can firstly examine you for IBS and also arrange for you to have allergy tests done. If you are allergic or intolerant to a common component that occurs in all the foods you list, then it may be a good idea to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with a diet prescription that avoids these offending foods, but is still well balanced and also promotes weightloss (if this should be necessary).
Holding thumbs that you can pinpoint what is causing the problems.