Question
Posted by: Melanie | 2010/01/21

carbo addiction?

I know this sounds crazy but is it possible to be addicted to starchy carbos? Three days agoi, I decided not to eat bread and pasta anymore to lose weight, and although I didn' t even eat that much in the past, I now crave especially bread to the point of being prepared to drive around the world just to get a slice!

BTW, I saw over the weekend that the low GI WHITE bread in the shops has a higher fibre content than multigrain or other low GI breads. Does that mean it is healthier?

Dear Melanie
I am always amazed that so many people believe that to lose weight they need to first and foremost cut down on carbohydrates. Carbs have a lower energy content (16 kJ/gram, or even less if they have a high dietary fibre content) than proteins (17 kJ/gram) and fats (37 kJ/gram - quite a difference I'd say!). So if you want to lose weight you need to cut down on energy and fat intake, not on plain carbs. This means you can certainly continue eating high-fibre bread (brown, wholewheat, low-GI, rye) provided you do not smother the bread in fats (margarine, butter, or other fatty spreads). To lower the GI of the low-GI white bread the manufacturers have added certain ingredients such as dietary fibre or soy protein which contains a lot of fibre, hence the low GI and the high fibre content. This is perfectly possible nowadays.
Try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) if you want to lose weight.

1

Dear Melanie