Question
Posted by: Lyn | 2010-05-21

Carb vs Protein

I am a 33 year old female with a BMI of 21.8. I exercise +/- 30 min Cardio, 30 min Condition per day for +/- 6 days a week. I do not have the means to go to a gym, so I do everything at home. I would just like to tone and have read that this means I will have to up my protein intake vs my carb intake.
1. What must this ratio be? (I have read it must be +/- 1Protein to 2 Carbs)
2. I do not have the money for Protein bars or shakes, so will biltong (Lean) or smoked chicken breasts (No skin) do?
3. Am I correct in thinking that the Protein shakes will actually be more effective?

Dear Lyn
If you already have a BMI of 21.8 which is ideal for adult women, then you certainly don't need to lose any weight. Toning is achieved by the type of exercise you do, not by changing your diet. I am not sure what your 'conditioning exercises' entail, but if they are exercises like situps and thigh rolls, working with light weights, etc then you will achieve toning, but this takes time! There is no need to increase your protein intake excessively as this can be harmful. You require 1 g of protein per kg of body weight so you are probably already ingesting this and more. Don't spend any of your hard earned money on protein bars of shakes, just continue as you have in the past. Foods with a high protein content include: milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese (use the low-fat or fat-free varieties), eggs, lean meat, chicken, fish. Protein shakes are not more effective than real food because the latter contains the perfect mix of amino acids as nature intended, not a mixture made up in a factory! Stick to natural foods and do your exercise.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-05-22

Dear Lyn