Question
Posted by: dina | 2009-02-16

carb intake?

Is it unhealthy to lower your daily carb intake?

I believe the best way to loose weight is to keep your calory output higher than the intake. So i try to keep my calorie intake low and i excercise daily to bun calories. And i do loose this way.

But for the past 2 weeks or so, i have been trying to keep my carb intake low too. I would have veggies with my meat for supper, instead of rice &  potatoes. And i would eat fruit for breakfast instead of cereal.

I know the Atkins diet is something similar and i also know the Atkins is not too healthy.

Is it ok the way i do this now, or should i ignore the whole carbs thing and only count calories?

Dear Dina
The difference between the diet you are proposing and the Atkins diet is that you are still having carbs in the form of vegetables and fruit. Most of the high-protein, high-fat diet only permit the use of so-called negative energy vegetables like lettuce, cucumber, etc which contain just a trace of carbs. If you eat all types of vegies and fruit then you will still be ingesting carbs (which is a good idea and will prevent constipation which is associated with a high-protein diet) and still provide you with valuable vitamins and antioxidants. By all means try you diet as long as you eat all vegetables and some fruit and don't go onto the lettuce jag like the Atkins diet.