Question
Posted by: Louise | 2009-11-25

carb counting a toasted cheese sandwich for insulin dose

I am counting carbs to adjust my insulin dosages. All goes well until I eat sandwiches? Does toasting the bread increase the carb content of the bread? Does having more than one slice increase the carb content on the whole? My sugars are always high 2 hours after eating 3 slices low gi brown bread and calculating the carb/insulin ratio correctly. Help!

Dear Louise
Toasting bread may change the carbohydrate content slightly, but this should not affect your insulin levels to such a degree. You may need to reduce the amount of carbohydrate by having fewer slices of low-GI bread at one meal and adding additional low-GI foods to the combination such as fat-free cottage cheese, canned tuna, boiled egg, etc. and to combine the sandwiches with lettuce, tomato, cucumber with a low-fat, vinegar dressing - which all lower the GI of the meal. The amount of cheese in the toasted cheese sandwich may be too low to counteract the carb load in 3 slices of bread. Please also discuss this reaction with your dietitian when next you go for a consultation.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-11-26

Dear Louise