Posted by: almost mad | 2009-09-25

car sick every weekend

Hi, my puppies stay with my fiance during the week and I only get to see them on saturday and sunday when I take them to the beach and the park. Is there anything i can give my jack russel X foxie to keep her from getting sick. I feel really bad when she gets sick, but they love going out. I normally try not tpo feed them in the morning, so she doesnt get car sick but then I feel bad because they really hungry by 10am.

Dear Almost mad

10-25mg Valoid

Posted by: WR | 2009-09-26

By 10 am they are hungry you say? My GSD pup would be ' hungry again"  by 10am even if I fed it at 0900... so don' t let that phase you! If they do not get car-sick if th haven' t been fed - don' t feed them. Simple. And anyway - letting a dog exercise an hour before or after a meal is not the best idea either.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-25

I wouldn' t be drugging the dog on a regular basis. Mostly dogs get carsick when they' re not used to being driven around, and often it' s stress-related, for a similar reason.

Some people swear by a little trick of ' wrapping'  the dog, which is a way of making it feel more secure. Do a bit of googling to see how it works - basically, you take a long strip of cloth, put the middle of it across the dog' s chest, bring it up and cross it over the back (shoulderblades), and then back underneath, where you cross it again (around the stomach area) before bringing it back up and securing it on the dog' s back - use a nappy pin or something. Alternatively, put a snug t-shirt on the dog.

If you google: dog " car sick"  wrap you' ll find some info - try variations of that, you' ll figure it out.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-09-25

Sorry it is post 1549

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-09-25

See post 1548.

Good luck.

Reply to Cat Lady