Posted by: overweight | 2009-03-02

Cappucinno versus coffee milk

Please can you tell me, I am so addicted to nestle cappucinno that I refuse to drink normal tea or coffee. The trouble is that since drinking cappu for about 3 years now, (non stop without normal coffee) - I have put on a considerable amount of weight, not to mention cellulite. My question is will I lose weight if I drink a glass of warm milk, coffee, sugar instead of cappu, will this be better for me? What is the calorie count for a nestle cappu versus a cup of warm milk with one sugar and a spoon of coffee? Thanks for your help!

Dear Overweight
Cappuccino is basically an infusion of coffee in water (which contains no kJ) and warm frothy milk. If you have cappuccino with cream then this could account for your weight gain, but I deduct that you are using the commercial powdered mixture which is made by adding boiling water? I don't have the energy content of the Nestle Cappuccino powder available - you can check on the package label. If you had to make your cappuccino with half hot water and half full-cream milk (125 ml milk and 125 ml water extract which contains the coffee infusion), then your drink would contain 320 kJ. Each teaspoon of sugar you add will increase the energy value by 81 kJ. Now if you make your cappuccino with either 2% milk or fat-free milk, then 125 ml of these milks will contain 260 kJ or 183 kJ respectively. You can, therefore, reduce the energy content of the drink by using fat-free milk and not adding sugar, but you will have to whip up the milk to make it frothy.
Hope this helps