Posted by: Jen-Jen | 2009-02-19

Cantaxanthine and mortality

Dear Doc
I have been taking Cantaxanthine simply for the skin-bronzing side-effect. But now in light of a Danish study that apparently shows that beta-carotene and other anti-oxidant supplements actually increase mortality, I was wondering how Cantaxanthine which is a carotenoid and anti-oxidant, fits into the picture? The loading dose is +-90mg a day and thereafter about 15-30mg per day. What do you suggest? Is the study viable or paranoia-inducing? Thank you.

Dear Jen-Jen
The Dutch study may be scary, but I do think the results are scientifically proven and they indicate that excessive intakes of vitamin A and other antioxidants, particularly in a concentrated form as found in supplements, can increase mortality and should be avoided. I think it would be wiser to reduce your intake of Cantaxanthine until we know more about the effect this product has on mortality. Rather obtain your caretonoids and other nutrients from a well balanced diet (e.g. carrots, pumpkin, butternut, broccoli, spinach, etc contain high levels of carotenoids)