Posted by: Mandilakhe Mkalipi | 2011-05-24

Can''t Sleep at night

Hi Dr, I have a problem of sleeping at night! I stay up till about 2 or 3 in the morning without any sleep. I would go to bed ealry but i just can''t sleep instead i just start thinking and doing all sort of staff! I am presently on mood stabilizer being treated for Anxiety and all but instead of the sleeping problem getting back to normal they are just getting worse.

I would be every grateful if you can help. Coz I sleep on at those time 2 or 3 in the morning and have to wake up at 8 and come to work, and i would start feeling sleepy but by 5 at the time I get out of work I am no longer feeling sleepy!

You advise would very much appreciated.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Anxiety is the best thing in the world to keep you awake. It sounds like you may have an anxiety disorder. If so, that will need attention before you have any real chance of getting to sleep. You may need to see someone about the anxiety disorder - it sounds as though it may not be adequately controlled. If the control is adequate then you will need to see a sleep doctor to help you with techniques to solve your problem.

Posted by: Magda Finniss | 2011-06-15

Reply to Magda Finniss