Question
Posted by: Sleepless | 2011/05/29

Can''t sleep &  no privacy at work

I am Biplar I and on the following medication:
Geodon, Lamictin, Topamax. For sleep I take 2 Stilnox. Due to work issues I am very anxious and I take Rivotril as well. My Dr Upped my dose of Rivotril to 0.5 morning and afternoon and 2mg at bedtime. O, and I''m also on Concerta for ADHD. I know it sounds like a lot, but I have been very well controlled since I moved to Pretoria 3.5 years ago. Previously I have been on Seroquel, Abilify etc. I was admitted and not even 3 doses of Zyprexa could get me down (IMI). I had no admissions since and only 1 or 2 hypomanic episodes that my Dr was not even really concerned about. Due to stress at work I''m not sleeping well. Even after he added the Rivotril 2mg in the evening I wake up in the middle of the night, wide awake. I am already at work by 6 in the morning. It catches up with me by 3 in the afternoon, then I can''t concentrate any longer. I don''t sleep during the day, due to the Concerta keeping me awake. Is there no other sleeping tablet that he can try? He suggested taking one Stilnox at bedtime and then one when I wake up, but then I don''t go to sleep at all. I also need paintablets to fall asleep. Which is not good, I know. I have not told him that. I work 7 days a week. I have not taken a day off during this whole easter period. And at the moment I feel depressed, because I feel undervalued. There are some issues at work, like I don''t have any privacy. I would talk on the phone with the client, then my manager would call me in and say I should not have said that! I feel like making calls from my cellphone outside the office! My manager also reads my e-mails and skype! There is no privacy. Plus, there is a lot of gossip at work. Otherwise she is fine and suuportive. And tells me I''m doing a great job. Please help with the sleep and what do I say when I get called in again?

Am I right in hoping yo have discussed these concerns with your own doctor ? Remember my often repeated point, that I don't believe ANY such condition is comprehensively managaed if only a bunch of meds are used, unless counselling, usually of the CBT form, is used. Drugs can help greatly to control mood swings, but don't help deal with agravations at work or in relationships - ONLY counselling can help you deal with those.
Rivotril is n't usually used for sleep problems, and Stilnox is a very viable sleeping medicine, designed to stop working in a few hours so as to avoid hangovers in the morning. I don't understand, though, the idea of taking one in the morning - did he explain that ?
You MUST tell him about the painkillers you take. These can cause problems in their own right, but can also potentially interfere with the actions of other drugs. Some might cause or worsen sleep problems. And so on.
You are overworking and feeling under-valued, and it sounds as though your manager may be over-controlling, and under-helpful ! - again, you can learn to handle such situations with CBT counselling, not with drugs as such. Make sure some such counselling is aded into your treatments

1