Question
Posted by: Shelby | 2010-12-07

Can''t remember things

Hi Doc,

I am 38, a mother of a 1 year old and a 3 year old. I run my own business. I have not had a full nights sleep in four years. I have been trying to study and simply cannot remember things. I did my exams over the weekend and just scrapped by. I cannot remember peoples names, where I put the keys, what I left the room to look for. Surely this is not still ''preggy brain''?

I am really embarrassed by this and I was previously quite sharp. I have not been on holiday for 3 years.

Am I getting senile or could this be tiredness?

Thanks.

So, you have at least 3 full-time jobs, simultaneously. Well, 4 as one should count the studies, too. This is not preggy brain, but over-stress, when one doesn't remember these things because one was too busy concentrating on multiple other things to place it in memory first time round. If you were not tired, and, if not burned out at least significantly singed, you'd be distinctly odd.
So you can continue to be as valuable as you are in all those other roles, devise plans to get some time off, some me-time, and some relaxation, which will bebefit you and the children

3
Posted by: bernie | 2010-12-07

The same thing happens to me ... I also have a very busy life ... in fact have had for years! I always thought that there was just something wrong with me and it causes me a great anxiety! I will definitely look at scheduling som time for myself. Thank you

Reply to bernie
Posted by: Maria | 2010-12-07

Sounds like burnout due to stress and no time for yourself. You really need to do whatever it takes to take a break and relax. It''s hard, one always thinks you must just carry on because there are people depending on you. The harsh reality is that you can push yourself too far, have a complete breakdown, and then you''re of no use to anybody.

Reply to Maria