Question
Posted by: Peter | 2010/10/12

Cant relax at all

Dear Doctor. I am in a terrible situation. I have paranoia and live in fear everyday.I take about 8 sleeping pills and sedative to ease my anxiety and they dont help. I have tries lots of meds but I cant relax. What is happening to my body and nervous system?. Is this hypmania. Should I go to Hospital?

I don't know whether you would feel better in hospital ; maybe so ; but the first step is to get a proper assessment of the diagnosis and current situation, as one can't make proper plans without a clearer identification of that problems need to be dealt with. If this is paranoia, then it is likely to respond well to any of a number of drugs also used to treat psychosis, which would be tranquillizing but also help to clear irational fears and clarify your thinking. Ordinary sedatives and sleeping pills cannot do this adequately. Paranoia can arise in hypomania, or indeed in severe depression and other conditions. So the best bet, I think would be for you to arange to see, soon, a good local psychiarist for a full and careful assessment of the situation, and then a discussion of treatment options.

1