Question
Posted by: strange | 2012-05-30

Can''t recall much of....

Hi Doc,

I''ve been thinking about my childhood alot these days, especially when I''ve had to either discipline my toddlers or explain things to them in certain situations etc, I try to think back from when I was a child to recall how my parents raised me and how I felt emotionally during times of discipline or teaching.

Problem is, seems like I can not remember much about my childhood and emotions and i''m concerned!

Is it normal to only remember a FEW things from childhood and not MOST things? I mainly remember how I played outdoors or being at school and playing with my friends (no real special times with my brothers that much as the 3 of us are all 6years apart). It''s as if I only remember things I physically did instead of how I emotionally felt at the time - I hope this makes sense....

The few memories I have of my emotions when I was a child was not necessarily positive, so mainly I can''t recall any POSITIVE emotion. I did not have a bad childhood, no violence etc but my parents did care for 4 of my cousins when I was between 8 and 17 years old. I wondering if this could have caused me to shut certain things from my memory......

Not sure if what i''m saying mean anything, would be interesting to hear what your opinion is.

Thank you!

It is always totally impossible to change anything that happened in the past, so just moodily brooding about it is worse than useless. What you CAn change, and usefully so, is the attitides you choose to have about whatever happened in the past.
Its also VERY natural not to remamber much about our childhoods - that has no sinister significance. And one does tend to remember events, especially repeated events or special events, more than emotions as such.
Rather than basing your way of raising your own kids on what you try to remember of what your parents did, rather base it on the ordinary good practice widely adopted by good parents these days.

2
Posted by: Mom | 2012-05-31

why do you want to dwell on the past, are you thinking that there is something that you might find out which could be dawnting? If so it will only destroy things for you now surely?? Leave well enough alone and enjoy the present...

Reply to Mom