Question
Posted by: MAGIC55 | 2012-07-26

Cant pick up weight!!!!

I am a 31 year old man. I am in good health, exercise regularly and have a generally good diet. About a year ago, I weighed +/- 85kg''s but have managed to lose all this weight gradually over the past 12 months. I have been to my GP and did all the relevant blood tests (HIV, Diabetes, Liver function, Kidney Function, Cholesterol etc.) and all my results have come back normal. My GP was obviously not able to pinpoint what the problem might be. I haven’ t had in major stress in my life either. Furthermore, I have tried almost everything I can think of to pick up more weight with no success - gymming more often, gymming supplements, increased food intake, more meals, carbo loading etc.). Any ideas as to why I lost all this weight in the first place? And how can I get back to where I used to be? Help!!!

Dear Magic55
I must admit that I too am rather puzzled why you have lost so much weight without having an obvious cause. Did the gp also test your thyroid function? Hyperthyroidism can cause pronounced weightloss in patients. If you have not had this aspect investigated then please ask the gp to refer you to an Endocrinologist for further testing particularly of your thyroid function. Other potential causes could be an enzyme deficiency which prevents you from digesting and absorbing your food, psychological factors such as depression and even anorexia. Discuss such possibilities with the doctor. For basic information about weight gaining, click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-07-26

Dear Magic55