Question
Posted by: Janine | 2012-03-28

Can''t lose weight

Please help! I feel really hopeless. I try to eat as healthy as possible, I exercise at least 4 times a week and I am not losing weight. I admit there is the occasional chocolate or other treat, but in general I have a healthy diet. I eat a healthy breakfast, I eat fruit daily, I try illuminate starch as much as possible. I did the Ducan diet about a year and half ago and lost weight well. After stopping, I picked the weight up over about 5 months and after that have just not been able to lose weight at all and my tummy is always bloated!! Did I mess up my metabolism? I also have IBS, might that have something to do with it? Thank you

Dear Janine
It is important to differentiate between bloating which results in your tummy being distended due to wind caused by IBS, and a large tummy due to accumulated fat under the skin of the abdomen. The IBS will cause the bloating which should "deflate" if you stop eating whatever foods affect you specifically or if you use antispasmodics and other medications prescribed for IBS (discuss such meds with your doctor). However if you are overweight (BMI exceeding 25) (?) then you would need to reduce your energy intake with a diet and increase your energy output by doing exercise. Although you say that you eat a healthy diet this does not mean that your total energy intake per day is less than your requirement. Because of your IBS, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with a diet that not only promotes weightloss, but also controls your IBS.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-03-29

Dear Janine