Question
Posted by: Nic | 2012/02/14

Can''t lose this baby weight!

Please help me! I put on 20kgs during my pregnancy, and I''ve only managed to lose 13 since I had my baby two years ago. I eat 6 small, low fat meals a day (raw veggies and fruit as snacks, low carb meals), and I just CAN''T lose the final 7kgs! I''m quite short, and these extra kgs are very visable. I work full time, so other than running after my toddler, I don''t get any formal exercise. We go down to the beach to run/play every week-end, and I always take the stairs instead of the lift etc... at work. What am I doing wrong? I''m close to tears because I''m starting to really hate how my body looks :(

Dear Nic
Firstly congratulations on losing those 13 kg - this is already very positive. If you could perhaps add some aerobic exercise to your regimen such as cycling on a stationary bike or skipping for 30 min a day, this can stimulate your metabolism and assist with weightloss. If you add exercise and are still not losing weight then I would recommend that you have a medical checkup just to see if you don't have an underlying physical problem such as an underactive thyroid or a psychological problem such as depression. If you are given a clean bill of health all round including for the psychological aspect, then I would like to encourage you to try a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. You can also contact the The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information, including books that explain the principles of the diet. If you combine this type of low-fat, low-GI diet with daily aerobic exercise then you should start to lose weight again. In some cases a pregnancy can cause some insulin resistance which hampers weightloss and using a low-GI diet can counteract this condition.
Holding thumbs that you will start losing those 7 kg.

1

Dear Nic