Question
Posted by: kyle rine | 2012-03-01

cant lose my tire belly! can you review my diet/and workout routine and tell me whats wrong?

hey doc,
ive been working out and dieting pretty intensely now for about 3 months straight and cant seem to lose my lower belly fat! I work out for about 2 hours a day and 6 days a week, about an hour or more of weight lifting and between 2.5 to 5 miles of running on the treadmill at about a 7:30-8:00 min mile. I am 29 years old, 5''8 and weigh about 170. here is my workout routine and diet.
monday-shoulders, traps and legs (no cardio)
tuesday-abs, cardio (5 miles on treadmill)
wednesday-chest, biceps then cardio (2.5 miles on treadmill)
thursday- back and triceps then cardio (2.5 miles)
fri- abs and cardio (5 miles)
sat- chest and biceps (2.5 miles)
sunday- REST
THIS IS MY DAILY DIET
7:00a.m.- 5 egg whites
9:00a.m.- protein shake (24g protein, 120 calories)
12:00p.m.-can of tuna
2:00p.m.-protein shake
5:00p.m.- double scoop protein shake after workout.
7:00p.m.- chicken breast and 1 cup quinoa

how does this diet and routine look to you doc and what else can i do to get rid of this tire belly? i have gained some muscle and lost some weight but this belly just wont go!! please help doc or anyone.

Dear Kyle
When you say you weigh 170, I presume you mean pounds, not kg? If this is the case, then your present BMI = 25,9 which is marginally higher than the upper limit of the normal range (18-25), which indicates that you are still slightly overweight. To achieve an ideal BMI of 24 if you are male as I presume (?), you would need to weigh 70 kg, which would entail an additional loss of 7,3 kg (approx. 16 pounds). Until you have reached your ideal weight, you may not shed all your abdominal fat. If you have reached this goal and have still not lost the belly fat, you would have to consider other options such as liposuction. The diet you describe is a variation of a high-protein diet, so I am actually amazed that you manage to do 2 hours of exercise every day with so little carbohydrate to act as fuel. I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian in your country or area for a more balanced diet because if you don't have an adequate fuel supply you won't be able to do the type of exercise that helps you shed the last 16 lb. I also notice that your gym programme does not seem to concentrate on stomach muscle exercises - you seem to be targeting every other part of your body, except the abdominal area. Do ask the gym instructor to include some stomach crunches, etc, to work on the belly fat.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-03-02

Dear Kyle