Posted by: Lydia Bekker | 2011-02-04

Can''t Loose Weight

Morning, I am getting desperate. I put myself on a diet last year because I realised that I was way overweight and for the first 4 months I lost 5 –  6kg. Then I would loose another kilo and if I dared over eat but just a little, I would be up by 1kg. I that is where I AM STILL.

I watch what I eat, watch my fat intake and do all the right things but I am still not loosing weight? I mentioned to a friend that I am loosing a lot of hair at the moment and she suggested that it could be my thyroid.

I don’ t want to go to a doctor to pay R350 for them just to write out a blood test prescription, so I am asking you.

What blood tests do you suggest to find out what could be the cause of me not loosing weight. It is causing me to feel so depressed and I don’ t want to feel like that because when it comes to weight it is so easy to throw in the towel and to say to hell with this. But I have lost 5kg and I feel/felt so good that I don’ t want to go back to where I was.

Your friend is correct in saying that you possibly are suffering from hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) and I therefore suggest that you have a TSH and T4 blood test done at your nearest pathologists. Remember that exercise is also a key in loosing weight.